Are you wondering how to start a blog for your business?
This is something that can seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be.
As with anything else, blogging is something that gets easier with practice.
In my experience, when it comes to blogging, there are two things to keep in mind:
- Implementation considerations
- Mental challenges
The implementation considerations include things such as choosing a blogging platform, coming up with your blog content, developing an editorial calendar so that you know what to write about, and optimizing your blog post using SEO.
I’ve written about each of these items before, and the links below will provide you with more information:
- Choosing a blogging platform: WordPress is the best blogging platform that you can use.
- Brainstorm your blog content: Tap into a great resource for coming up with ideas for your blog.
- Create an editorial calendar: Develop an editorial calendar to plan your posts in advance.
- Determine your blog schedule: Review the three considerations for your blog schedule.
- Creating new blog posts: Easily create new blog posts in WordPress.
- Optimize your blog posts: Learn how to optimize your blog posts quickly and easily.
If you follow the steps above, you’ll be ready to start blogging!
The mental challenges, however, are far more difficult to overcome than the implementation considerations. These include things such as overcoming the initial inertia, working through any fears related to blogging, developing the habit of writing, and committing to something that may take time to yield results.
Here are some of the the mental challenges that you might need to work through:
- Overcoming inertia: This is a challenge because it’s often hard to start something new. You’ve heard of the saying: “A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.” There’s a reason why this saying is so popular! The first step, getting ourselves to take that first action on a project, can often be the hardest one.
- Working through fears: If you’re not used to blogging, it can be scary to put your ideas out there for the world to see. Will people like your blog posts? Will they not like them? These are common fears for every new blogger. Be aware that this may arise for you, acknowledge it when it comes up, and then move past it. The fears will go away as you get used to blogging more.
- Developing the writing habit: One of the biggest mistakes I see with clients (and one that I’ve succumbed to myself) is sporadic blogging. It’s easy to get excited about blogging when it’s new. Maybe you’ll even crank out a few posts. However, the reality then sets in: this is work. It takes time, effort, and discipline. If you don’t make it into a habit, it’s easy to fall off the wagon.
- Committing for the long-term: Blogging and online marketing have often been compared to a marathon, not a sprint. Be aware that it will take time to see results. It’s easier to do something that gives quick results, but if you want to get the best results from blogging, you’ll need to commit for the long-term.
In particular, I’ve found that there are two obstacles that most bloggers – myself included – encounter: finding time and focusing our efforts. I’ve provided specific tips for overcoming these two obstacles below:
- Finding the time to blog: There are five specific strategies that you can utilize to increase your bandwidth for writing.
- Focusing your efforts: These three specific strategies can help you to make sure that you’re using your time most effectively in your online marketing.
Blogging takes work, but you’ll find that it is quite worthwhile!
Avoid the Top 10 SEO Mistakes
Learn about what they are and how you can avoid them.