The start of the new year is a great opportunity to revitalize your small business blog. If you’re looking to make improvements this year, these 6 tips can help you get started:
- Create compelling content: No one wants to read content that isn’t insightful, interesting, informative, or enlightening. This doesn’t mean that every post has to consist of Pulitzer-worthy writing, but it does have to be worth reading for the audience that you are trying to reach. Be clear about who you’re writing for and what they’re interested in and need to know.
- Focus on SEO: Search engine optimization (SEO) refers to optimizing your online content so that it can be easily found by search engines. While this is an area that can appear to be complex, there are several simple steps that you can take to make your blog posts search-engine friendly. For example, using keywords in your blog title is an easy way to optimize your business blog.
- Grab your reader’s attention: When it comes to blogs, you don’t have much time to get your reader’s attention. People click over and scan your post in seconds to decide if they want to read it or not. Fortunately there are simple techniques that can help you capture a reader’s attention – quickly.
- Commit to blogging regularly: Like anything else, blogging is a skill that gets easier with practice. As you become more comfortable with the blogging process – generating ideas, researching and drafting posts, editing and publishing, sharing your content via social media – you’ll find that it does become easier over time. Getting into a daily writing schedule is key to successful blogging.
- Learn from the mistakes of others: By this point, blogging is no longer a new field to be explored the way it was a few years ago. Many bloggers have made mistakes and graciously shared their lessons so that you can avoid making the same business blog blunders.
- Share your content via social media: Unless you’re writing a personal blog for your friends and family, you obviously want people to find your blog and share its content. This is especially important if you are blogging for business and trying to achieve specific business goals. Make sure that your content can be shared as part of your social media strategy.
Of course, this all assumes that you already have a blog! If you don’t yet have a blog, here are some tips to get started with your business blog.
Do you have questions about how you can improve your blog this year? If so, please leave them in the comments.
Get Support in Marketing Your Business
Coming soon: free tools and resources to help you market your business more effectively and easily. Sign up now to get notified when they're ready.